Need Pink Eye Treatment in Sunnyvale?
Conjunctivitis, more commonly known to the general public as pink eye, can present you with some alarming symptoms -- and sometimes that concern is more than justified. This inflammation of a membrane called the conjunctiva not only turns the eye a characteristic shade of pink, but it can also cause itching, discharge, and other issues. Some forms of pink eye are also highly contagious, so the sooner you have this condition looked at, the better. Here at Silicon Valley Eye Physicians, our experienced team of eye doctors can provide the necessary pink eye treatment in Sunnyvale.
Pink eye isn't just a general inflammation of the eye; it specifically targets the conjunctiva. This membrane lines the inner eyelids and the sclera, or white of the eye, where it helps to distribute the eye's protective tear film and keep harmful microorganisms away from the eyeball. Unfortunately, those same microorganisms can settle on the conjunctiva itself, leading to infection and/or irritation. The most common varieties of conjunctivitis include:
- Viral conjunctivitis - Viral conjunctivitis may be spread by rubbing the eyes during a cold or other period of illness. The discharge from this form of pink eye tends to be thin and watery.
- Bacterial conjunctivitis - Bacterial conjunctivitis is quite common, especially among children in concentrated environments (such as schools) and adults who aren’t careful about their cosmetics usage. This form of pink eye produces a thick or greenish discharge.
- Allergic conjunctivitis - Pink eye due to allergies can often be identified by the seasonal cycles in which it appears. Its symptoms resemble those of viral conjunctivitis and may be accompanied by other allergy symptoms.
- Sexually transmitted diseases can also cause infection to a newborn's eyes during delivery. If your newborn is found to have pink eye, immediate treatment is necessary to prevent blindness.
If you are suffering from itching, irritation, discharge, light sensitivity and telltale pink coloration of pink eye, come to Silicon Valley Eye Physicians. We can run tests to check for specific bacteria or viruses that may be behind your symptoms. Bacterial conjunctivitis can be treated with antibiotics, while viral conjunctivitis may have to run its course. Allergic conjunctivitis can be controlled by identifying your specific allergen and finding ways to limit ocular exposure to it. We also need to examine your eyes to eliminate the possibility that something else, such as an injury or foreign body, is causing your symptoms.
Most cases of pink eye resolve within a week or two -- but that doesn't mean you have to feel miserable the whole time. Our pink eye treatment in Sunnyvale CA includes recommendations for soothing home care practices to help reduce your symptoms. These may include warm compresses on the eyes, ear drops or artificial tears, decongestants and antihistamines.
Silicon Valley Eye Physicians
Silicon Valley Eye Physicians is a leading vision care provider that has been serving the community for over 60 years. Our doctors are members of prestigious organizations, including:
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology
- The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- The Cornea Society
- The California Optometric Association
We are happy to conduct examinations and make diagnoses over the phone using our telemedicine service. To schedule in-person exams for your entire family, call our Sunnyvale office at (408) 739-6200 or request an appointment online.